Friday, June 19, 2009

Pancake/Mini-muffin Hack (Recipe)

Ingredients:
1 1/4c Bisquick Heart Healthy Pancake mix
1 egg
1/2c 2% organic lactose free cow milk
1/2c coconut milk
1/4c hemp milk
1 jar banana & peach stage 2 baby food
1 tbsn sugar
pinch salt

1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Spray a 24 muffin mini muffin tin ALL OVER (not just in the muffin repositories) with Pam
3. Spoon mixture into each repository
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a fork comes out of a muffin "clean"

Makes 24 mini-muffins.

Ok, so the ingredients and this recipe need an explanation.

First the recipe:
Em has become a bona fide meat-atarian, and getting her to eat vegetables or fully eat fruit is a challenge most of the time. Things that she loved when she was younger, or yesterday can be rejected for no particular reason. We also have about a dozen and a half jars of baby food that were graciously donated to us from a mom of a baby girl a few months older than Em. But, since we never really did jarred foods, they've gone uneaten.

SO! I thought, well, I can mix a jar or two into pancakes and those can be good healthy snacks for her. Last night while mixing up the batter, I was irritated by the thought of getting out the griddle, "slaving" over the pancakes and moreso by the necessity of cleaning said griddle after the cooking.

SO, I thought: mini muffins! I added the last two ingredients to get closer to a muffin/quickbread recipe, but I suspect they're not really necessary.

Ok, now the ingredient explanation:
1. Pancake mix - this is what we had in the house.
2. The various milks - the recipe called for cow milk, I'm trying to get rid of the coconut milk and we're weaning Em onto hemp milk. So, I just mixed them all in.
3. Peaches & bananas seemed a more likely complement to pancakes than squash. But, make no mistake, I plan to use up the squash and carrot jars too. I think the recipe could stand to have another jar of food in it if the milks are reduced.

These were good, and Em and I shared two mini-muffins last night before bed. 2-3 muffins would make a perfect snack for either one of us. I'm looking forward to making these again.

No comments: